09 Jun The Long Term Benefits of Regular Roof Inspection
Your roof is exposed to all weather conditions, all year round, and therefore they need regular maintenance to ensure they are still fit for purpose.
This is why it is highly important to inspect your roof regularly for damage or signs of wear and tear. Yet many people do not know how often to inspect their roofs, or what to look for when they do.
How Often Should I Inspect My Roof?
Ideally, you should inspect your roof at least twice a year, before and after the winter, as this is when the harshest weather conditions are most likely to occur. If the weather has been unusually severe at other times of year, such as if you have experienced high winds or storms, it is advisable to give your roof an additional check as soon as the weather has calmed down.
What Should I Look for?
- Check the flashings. These are the metal sections around your chimney and pipes. Damage to these can rot your roof’s foundations, allowing damp and leaks into your home.
- Check your gutters for asphalt, and look for bare patches or tearing around the shingles. These are signs that you need a new roof.
- Check for warping or rot in any wooden parts of your roof.
- Check your roof tiles are not chipped and there are no missing pieces.
- You can also check in your attic that there are no patches of light showing from outside, leaks or signs of water damage.
What are the Benefits?
Roofs are expensive to replace, and spotting a problem early can save you a lot of money. In addition, many warranties will only cover roofs that have been properly maintained.
Statistically, a well-maintained roof will last about 25 to 30 years. This is twice as long as roofs that have been neglected.
A well-maintained roof can also save you money on your household bills, as it is likely to provide better insulation for your home.
Help and Advice
If you don’t feel confident inspecting your roof yourself, trust it to a reputable, experienced roofing firm such as Roundhay Roofing. Our 30 years of experience in all aspects of roof care and maintenance will ensure that we do not miss any details when we inspect your roof. We will always use the right tools for the job, and ensure that safety is paramount. If you live in the Leeds area and would like more information and advice about roof inspection, please give us a call on 0113 293 4038.